IN HOUSE PRO BONO GROUP
The members of the In House Pro Bono Group share a collective belief that the provision of pro bono work is a professional responsibility for all lawyers. Supported by a Steering Committee, the Group’s aims are to:
- Foster a culture of commitment to pro bono
- Promote and improve pro bono service and delivery
- Share knowledge, best practice and resources to build and strengthen in house pro bono service
- Connect in house lawyers, charities and pro bono professionals through networking and communication
- Collaborate to make the best use of our unique skill set and training for the benefit of others.
National Pro Bono Week!
The 19th Pro Bono Week will take place this year from 2 to 6 November 2020. We are busy planning a series of events and volunteering opportunities for you and your teams to get involved in. Visit our page here to learn everything you need to know about National Pro Bono Week!
- Check out our Pro Bono Guide for In House Lawyers
- Discover best practices for Scoping a Pro Bono Program
- Visit our Pro Bono Resources page for a comprehensive list of pro bono brokers and organisations
- Stay up to date on the latest in pro bono space by checking out our Calendar of Events
- We run a series of training events throughout the year. Visit our Training & Education page for a list of upcoming events as well as recordings of past events
- Visit our Covid-19 Resources page for information on conducting pro bono during the pandemic
- Get involved in the Pro Bono Response to Climate Change
Training & Education
Our Training & Education sub-committee organises quarterly and ad hoc training sessions for our members. Please see our Training and Education tab for further details. If there are any topics that you would like to receive training or present on, please contact us.
Financial Institution Pro Bono Day
Our Financial Institution Pro Bono Day sub-committee is planning a collaborative volunteering day for financial instutions to celebrate Financial Institution Pro Bono Day
Policy & Outreach
Our Policy & Outreach sub-committee is in charge of promoting pro bono policies and publicising the work of our Group.
Mark your calendar for these upcoming pro bono events. For a broader calendar of upcoming events beyond September, please visit our Calendar of Events page.
LawWorks Training: Welfare Benefits – Covid-19 update
Delivered by Roni Marsh who is a welfare benefits and debt adviser with 20 years of experience of advising and training on welfare benefits law. This session will provide both an overview of welfare benefits, as well as covering Covid-19 developments.
LawWorks Training: Homelessness and Possession Law
This training will be delivered over two sessions, running consecutively. The first session will provide an introduction to Homelessness law. The second session, on possession law, will be delivered shortly after introductory session.
LawWorks Training: Access to Family Justice during Covid
LawWorks Cymru is delighted to present this special panel discussion about access to family justice in the time of the Covid-19 pandemic. Facilitated by Rhys Taylor (family barrister) the event will provide an exploration of the overarching family justice themes and key issues which have arisen during this time.c.
LawWorks Training: General Data Protection Regulations and Remote Working
This session will look at the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), providing straightforward explanations, clear practical guidance and practical tools to help you and your organisation.
PILnet Global Forum: Protecting Our Future
Connect with leading activists, academics, pro bono professionals, and public interest law champions throughout the world around this year’s theme, Protecting our Future, and forge alliances and develop strategies for using the law to protect civil society and the communities they serve.
LawWorks Training: Unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and Covid-19
This session will examine the protections available to the workforce where the employer requires a return to the physical workplace.
LawWorks Training: Community Care and Education Law
This training will be delivered over two sessions, running consecutively.
The first session will cover social care, NHS continuing care and mental capacity. A second session will cover elements of these topics, in particular in relation to eligibility for legal aid, hence we recommend that you attend both sessions.
LawWorks Training: Small Claims: Experience from the Front Line
This session is the third in a series on small claims delivered by Dominic Bright (barrister, Lamb Chambers), who will be joined by Tim Cave, East Greenwich Legal Advice Centre (EGLAC), and will focus on experience from the frontline.
LawWorks Training: Employment Law and Covid-19
Delivered by George Pollitt (barrister at Iscoed Chambers, Cardiff), this session will explore the impact of Covid-19 on the employment law landscape.